Monday, March 2, 2009

They are having conversation!!

What is a 9th grader?? Some would say a 9th grader is loud, boisterous, immature socialite that believe they are equal to the adult know-how of the world. In most cases I, or other RECHS teachers may agree with you, but recently I would differ on typical definitions of beginning high school students.
Our project, Understanding U, has enlightened me on the know-how's that our very young and energetic youth experience everyday. Our world is changing. Things that were distant in my life as a 9th grader, and are still distant today, have arrived in the lives of many young teenagers as if this is the "norm." Without going in to specific detail, I've had the great pleasure of watching our students exchange their "stories" with the trust that somehow the conversation they've engaged in will help others understand just who they really are. Our RECHS 9th graders, although at times are loud, boisterous, and immature, have been placed into a society where experience is everything. Sometimes my 9th graders experience more than I could imagine. With the gift of learning, I am able to understand their barrier and help work through or around it.
Our RECHS students are having conversations about who they really are! It's amazing and I hope this experience has been just as powerful for them as it has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment